2020 BLACKSTAR FILM FESTIVAL
The 9th annual BlackStar Film Festival is just a few days away. From August 20 to 26, they have over 80 films screening from all around the world, plus a slate of free panels featuring filmmakers, thought leaders, and cultural workers in conversation about the most pressing issues facing Black, Brown, and Indigenous visual artists today. They’re also hosting an Opening Night Party with DJ Jazzy Jeff, a Closing Night Party with DJ Rich Medina, and have even more exciting things to unveiled. Get your $5 Day Passes or All Access Donation Pass for $100 today!
- BlackStar Live!, a new morning show airing live on Facebook, everyday of the festival. Hosted by Yaba Blay, Maori Karmael Holmes, DJ Rich Medina, Tariq “Black Thought” Trotter, and Rashid Zakat.
- Loira Limbal’s feature documentary Through The Night, presenting the stories of two working mothers and a child care provider, whose lives intersect at a 24-hour daycare center. August 21 at 7 PM ET
- The shorts program “Kinetic” features six films related to “redistributing energy to fuel movement,” including Legendary: 30 Years of Philly Ballroom. August 22 at 7 PM ET
- Nationtime – Gary, a feature documentary by the legendary William Greaves about the National Black Political Convention of 1972 in Gary, Indiana. August 23 at 7 PM ET
- “Still Processing The Forty Year Old Version” — a conversation with director Radha Blank, hosted by The New York Times’ Wesley Morris and Jenna Wortham. August 24 at 4 PM ET
- Ekwa Msangi’s Farewell Amor, a feature narrative about an Angolan immigrant whose wife and teen daughter are finally able to join him in the U.S., after 17 years apart. August 26 at 7:30 PM ET
Credits via BlackStar.org and Poster design by Joshua Mays